Re: TD engine & Oil Filter

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD engine & Oil Filter
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 11:23:33 -0700
Gordon Bird wrote:

> Course, I'm still using felt inserts for my A.  See no reason to convert to
> more modern filter.

IMHO, the felt filter doesn't remove very small particles.  It mainly just stops
the old fashioned sludge that used to accumulate in the sump before the advent
of modern detergent oils.

I went to NAPA yesterday to get a new filter for my pickup.  I changed
oil on it about two weeks ago, and now the engine takes about twice as long to
get oil pressure.  So , I decided just to change the filter again.  Anyway, I
checked into filters for TD-MGA's.  They didn't have one in stock, but did have
one which fit the MGC.  It looks like its the same diameter, but longer.  What
impressed me, was the construction.  It had a perferated metal inner and outer
liners, metal endcaps, paper gasket type of seals on both ends, and lots of
pleats in the filter material.  If the the TD-MGA filter is constructed the
same, it would be alot better than the AC32A I'm currently using.

Bill, Barney, and Ed, what are you using?  I especially want to hear from the
racers.

Blake