what car is my engine from?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: what car is my engine from?
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:49:45 +0300
I know that my car began life as an automatic from the "10/37" stamped
on the rear axle. So I have a "longer" diff which hopefully makes up for
the non-overdrive 4-synchro gearbox stamped "1B8930 25/3/69" where the
clutch slave cylinder bolts to it. On long trips I can easily overtake
small engined modern cars when going uphill in 4th gear, no problem!

But my engine, that's another issue. It sure is a B-Series 1798cc but,
having an "18V 807F" prefix it sure can't be from an MGB, at least
according to the "Original MGB" book. I'd like to know what car it comes
from, an 1800cc Marina, a JU truck, or what? It takes less than 4 litres
of engine oil, including the few cc in the filter!

And the most important question is will it run on unleaded, as the
Original book says that some of the "latest" B-Series engines were
designed to use it. We might be experiencing shortage of leaded petrol
("super 98 octane", as it's called here) in a couple of years.

Don't know if the Heritage archives list engine numbers and their
original destinations, so could anyone help me on this?

Evangelos
73 BGT