Re: not starting

To: <wtkilleffer@tn.freei.net>
Subject: Re: not starting
From: "Charles Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 07:02:31 -0400
William said:

>The distributor parts look new. Is it possible that I ruined
>something with the other alternator?

Probably not.  I just discovered on my Midget that oil and gas soaked plugs
can't easily be cleaned.  Once I replaced my spark plugs with new ones (NGK
platinums), the car started on the first turn of the key.  However, it
indicates that you are getting fuel to the cylinders.  Hook up the choke if
you can, otherwise have someone hold the choke lever up while you try to
start it.  Your spark plugs should be delivering a healthy-looking blue arc,
not faint yellow.

As for the distributor: Make sure your points are gapped correctly.  Perhaps
your rotor is bad, since there has recently been a large batch of new Lucas
rotors that have been the wrong shape, and hence ineffective.  I've also
heard of condensers being faulty right out of the box.  Examine your LT lead
for faults, and make sure the distributor is not grounded internally, i.e.,
that the plastic doohickey on the points post is on top, not between the
electrical contacts.

Just keep narrowing down the problems, and sooner or later (probably sooner)
this car will run.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget