not starting

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: not starting
From: William Killeffer <wtkilleffer@tn.freei.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:05:57 -0400
Hello,
A little background:
I replaced the alternator on my 74 MGB when it stalled and refused to run
properly and then drained the battery. The alternator I started using had a
slightly different connection than the original and I modified the connector
to match. This did not solve my problems as the car refused to start. I then
replaced the coil and found an alternator that was the same as the connector
on my car. It still won't start. The car is getting fuel and the valves are
opening and closing, which probably rules out fuel pump trouble and broken
timing chain. The spark plugs were coated in a gas-smelling residue and
would not spark when a friend turned the starter and I held them close to a
ground. The distributor parts look new. Is it possible that I ruined
something with the other alternator? The choke is not hooked up yet, and I
haven't tried to tune the carbs yet. I have driven this car twice without
incident, but the third time it misbehaved, prompting my parts spree.
Also, a simplified schematic I saw on mgcars.org showed the brake lights
plugging into a green and purple wire that runs from under the hood to the
back of the car. The only green and purple wires I see in the trunk anywhere
are attached to the light fixture. None are coming out of the wiring
harness. I know you all are tired of my brake light questions, but this is
what I see and as a newbie, it is the best way I know to explain it. Which
wires should I plug those green and purple wires into?
Thanks for your help,
William Killeffer