Re: was NE events-now infected shoulder--min LBC connection.

To: grunt2@adelphia.net
Subject: Re: was NE events-now infected shoulder--min LBC connection.
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 07:10:37 -0400
Carl,
  These stray staph infections are one of the best reasons to avoid
hospitals.  Some wit noted that he would never go into one, because
that's where sick people were found.
  There are some staph bacteria around that have developed amazing
resistances to almost all antibiotics. Some are anaerobic too, making
them even tougher.
  My father-in-law, three years ago, went in for a routine hernia
repair--almost a preventive maintenance thing (no crisis at hand).
Operation was  a success, but he picked up a staph infection that was
fierce.  MG connection--he liked MG T-series best.
  Since they wanted to get him out of hospital, away from the exposure,
he came home and I gave him IV bags of some antibiotic 4x for a week.
Seemed much longer to me.
  In light of his experience, you might ask why they would prefer to
reopen and clean.  I guess they have to if it's bad enough, but that is
one more opportunity for contamination to get into the opening.  Not a
choice I'd want to face, and I regret that you are suffering.
  As the medics explained to me--hospitals are scrubbed and scrubbed, and
the air ducts are cleaned, and most of their tools are either single-use
or autoclaved, and the people wear masks and boiled clothes, but some of
the staph germs are able to get past these barriers.
  MG content--that's why we don't sweep the garage floor when an engine
is opened up.
Bob