Re: Title work...

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Title work...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:40:49 -0700
glh85@juno.com had this to say:

>there are these weird bars that come off of the
>windshield and go straight back.

Wha...? Could those conceivably be the rods for missing or deteriorated
sun visors? I don't know what else would meet that description.

>I was also wondering if it is possible
>to fabricate a dash out of some aluminum and getting some gauges, has
>anybody done this?

Umm, does this mean there is no dash in the car? If so, this is sounding
more and more like a totally quixotic endeavor... not to discourage you,
or anything, but still... you are looking at hundreds of $$$ just in
instruments and switches, and wiring... to be perfectly frank, just what
do you see in this derelict that is so compelling?

Just to give you an idea, my B had shiny red paint and actually drove
when I bought it... I still managed to spend, oh, $4000 or $5000 on it in
the first ten years... without really improving its resale value at all
-- but at least I was driving it the whole time. This crate could
probably absorb 2 or 3 grand (easily) before it moves an inch under its
own power, and it would still *look* like a wreck at that point, with
untold thousands yet to come for rust repair, paint, interior, weather
gear...

I am not arguing against the altruistic urge to rescue a neglected
"orphan" of a noble marque... but still, there is nothing like an
abandoned car to give the concept of "free" a bad name. Except maybe a
wooden boat, but that's another story.

Anyway, I'll shut up now that I've salved my conscience. Consider
yourself warned... whatever you choose to do, just go into it with your
eyes open. Good luck!

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149