Re: Petrol problems in Europe (Long, No LBC)

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Petrol problems in Europe (Long, No LBC)
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 00:03:10 +0100
Hello, Allen.

What has been going on is a protest-led by small haulage firms and
farmers-against the level of taxation on all forms of liquid fuel in the UK.
There had been rumblings about this a few weeks ago, taking the form of a
campaign called 'Dump the Pump'; in the event, this was ill-supported.
So, the hauliers and farmers started to blockade the oil depots. Road
tankers were not physically stopped from going out on the road (although
some intimidation has been reported) and emergency services were catered for
throughout. Slow-rolling convoys of lorries and farm vehicles were also
employed to impede traffic flow on major roads. This seems to have followed
in the wake of similar protests in France, where the taxation is much less
than in the UK; the increased per-barrel price of crude has also been a
trigger factor.
Since the current government came into power, petrol prices have risen by 26
pence per litre, of which 16 pence is tax. Pundits suggest that, with a
variety of windfalls, there is enough government money to allow a reduction
of 8 pence/litre right now.
Since the blockading started, the country has steadily and swiftly run dry.
For example, a petrol station in York received 3,500 litres at 8 am today,
by 3 pm, it was gone. This shortfall has had repercussions in many areas,
particularly in the health service, ambulance, police and fire services and
in the care of home-bound people.
A small number of road tankers were given police escorts as from late last
night. We were told yesterday at 7pm that the problem would be over in 24
hours. However, the oil companies are not saying why this is not so and it
appears that the tanker drivers have some sympathy with the protestors. The
blockades were called off one hour after the Prime Minister's
deadline-although many protesters are remaining on-site-but the movement of
tankers is still very limited.
Interestingly, people who were queuing in five-mile lines for fuel
nevertheless support the protestors and there is over 90% support for the
notion of drastically cutting fuel taxation. The general feeling is that
this is a so-called 'stealth tax', by which the government is giving a
perceived low level of income tax but is actually extracting yet more funds
by heavily taxing a commodity which is essential to the operation of both
individuals and businesses.
At this point, we have been promised negotiations re. fuel taxes but no
timescale has been given. However, I understand that other EU member
countries are calling for an international meeting about OPEC prices and
fuel taxation levels.
Being British, we will follow our national character and 'wait and see'.

David Hill

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.psychomotor.co.uk