Positive Earth

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Positive Earth
From: Greg M Myer <motorhead45@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:28:15 -0700
Hello list;   HELP!  I've got a problem I'm hoping someone can shed some
light on.
            '64 MGB with '67 engine. All wiring is original as far as I
can tell. I've put in a new 12 volt battery, wired pos. ground. Negative
to the solonoid.Things are fine until I
start it. ( Starts fine )  After running a short time, a minute or so, I
smell wiring burning. The solonoid is HOT. Shut the engine off and the
solonoid is history. Got the Haynes wiring chart blown up at Kinkos and
traced color coded wires. Fixed some problems, cleaned lots of terminals.
Tried again. Same thing. Fried solonoid for lunch. ( That's 2 new ones
after the old one)
Pulled the generator (dynamo ) and had it checked at NAPA . It puts out
12 volts and appears
to be negative ground (WHAT?)  Moss says the whole thing can be changed
to negative ground. So I followed the instructions. Hooked up the battery
the other way round......
and the regulator got VERY HOT. Nothing was turned on and the generator
wasn't hooked up. What's happening ?
I've got a parts car with an alternator and I'm tempted............(to
make more trouble ? )
                     Thanks for any ideas.     Greg
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.