Re: Positive Earth

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Positive Earth
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:30:35 -0700
Greg:

You've possibly two distinctly different problems.

<<<snip>>>
Greg M Myer wrote:

 After running a short time, a minute or so, I
> smell wiring burning. The solonoid is HOT.
<<<snip>>>

The starter solonoid is not intended for continous use like a relay solonoid.
It appears that electric current to the solonoid is remaining on after
starting.  This might not be enough power to acutate the solonoid and turn on
the starter so you won't hear the starter turning.  I would check the start
position of the ignition switch.  Disconnect the lead running from the ignition
switch to the starter.  Hook a 12 volt test lamp to that lead and ground.  Turn
the ignition key to start, release it, and check the lamp.  If the lamp is on,
then the start position of the ignition switch isn't cutting off when you
release the key.  You may have to try it several times to make sure it is or is
not sticking.  There shouldn't be any current going to the solonoid after the
ignition key is released.

<<<snip>>>
 Hooked up the battery
> the other way round......
> and the regulator got VERY HOT. Nothing was turned on and the generator
> wasn't hooked up. What's happening ?
<<<snip>>>

Two possible causes.  The cut out points in the regulator are stuck/burned
shut.  When the generator's output drops below about twelve volts, the cut out
opens so the battery doesn't discharge through the generator's field coils when
the engine is shut off.  If they stick shut current is flowing to the generator
and the regulator will get hot.  Another possible cause may be that some of the
wiring is connected incorrectly at the regulator.

<<<snip>>>
> I've got a parts car with an alternator and I'm tempted............(to
> make more trouble ?
<<<snip>>>

You just might be adding more problems.  Sort out what you have first and then
consider changing to the alternator.  Remember that almost all alternator
systems are negative ground, and the car has to be converted to negative
ground.  If the MGB has a factory radio/sound system, you will also have to
replace it as you will need a negative ground system.

Blake