Re: Fwd: Re: Cracked Head and Bar's Leak

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Cracked Head and Bar's Leak
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 16:02:07 -0700
I'm sure that there have been crappy stop leak products produced over
the years that have caused major problems, but my extensive experience
tells me the Bars' Leak brand isn't one of them.  The FAQ section on
their site is worth reading.
http://www.barsleaks.com/F_A_Q__s/f_a_q__s.html

In fact, on the Vanagon engine I just installed (rebuilt by a production
rebuilder, these crazy "waterboxers" aren't worth messing with if you
are an amateur), I had a leak in what appeared to be a plain old flanged
pipe/gasket connection to the water jacket in spite of a new gasket and
sealer, and my adding Bar's.  After two hours of draining coolant, oil,
removing crap, etc. and filing the flange flat, installing a new gasket
etc. etc., everything was fine for about a week.  Then it was back worse
than ever!  I said no $%%$##$ way can that connection be leaking, and
sure enough the leak was from a hidden stud just above this flange that
penetrated the water jacket.  That was it all along.

It turns out I didn't add enough Bar's for the capacity of this coolant
system (4+ gallons), so I added a second bottle, drove around for 30
minutes, and the leak stopped.  Two weeks later still no leak, and that
sure beats another two hours of taking stuff apart!  Sealing threads,
weeping freeze plugs, weeping head gaskets, pinholes, etc. is what this
product is for, not for anything larger.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1