Re: Smoke and oil, the final solution

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Smoke and oil, the final solution
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 23:59:31 +0000
Richard wrote:

> For a very worn motor, she ran very well. She should run much better
> when I get her back. Completely rebuilt, slight overbore (he's
> leaving me one rebore left), reground cam, head done up (but I
> forget exactly what's being done). It's a hot up he does regularly
> and apparently produces a much more powerful motor, with a little
> less bottom end, but retaining its drivability and a smooth idle.
> Cripes, I might be able to blow off motorised scooters now. A
> standard motor rebuild costs $3,000. The hot motor costs $3,300, and
> prepared for unleaded fuel, $3,600. Why would anyone build a
> standard motor?

... and this is in Australian dollars (South Sea peso) - so if you
'murricans want to get a cheap rebuild you can send it to Australia.
But I would wait until the Aussie dollar drops to $US0.25 and then you
can come out with the engine for a holiday and still get the rebuild for
cheaper than you would have it done in the US!

So Richard, I expect to see you out at the track after that rebuild.  I
will still be running my worn out motor so you should be able to keep up
with me :-)

18th November... the last sprint of the year and it is a wonderful
Twilight Sprint.  Sprinting in Summer at night with the top down... it
doen't get much better than that :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII