Re: gearbox only removal

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: gearbox only removal
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 19:16:28 -0600
But there is. I've mentioned it on the list several times. Haven't found
any other advocates or others those use the method. Technically, you
wouldn't even have to remove the transmission and I'm sure it is much
easier than an overdrive transmission like mine.

All you have to do is undo the transmission, move it back as far as it will
go, then pull the transmission down from its front. The top part of the
bell housing will rub against the flywheel. To gain the extra few inches
needed for clearance, at least with the overdrive units. it is necessary to
bore a 1" diameter hole in the  bell housing, about 2" from the end that
mates with the engine.   This hole allows you to remove the bolts that hold
the pressure plate to the flywheel. Then all you have to do is pull the
transmission back far enough for the pilot shaft of the transmission to
pull out of the bushing in the crankshaft. You can actually pull it low
enough to just pull out the clutch components.

This whole job can be done by one person except you may need a helper to
help push the transmission back up into place. That will take about 1`5
minutes or so of maneuvering. I've used this method to fix the transmission
twice and replace the clutch once in my 71BGT.

I don't know why but I've only done the engine/transmission removal twice
and usually avoid it. But I took the engine out by irself once and that was
really bad - I had a hell of a time getting the engine back in and mated to
the transmission.

David Councill
67 BGT
71 BGT