Re: MGB seat rebuilding

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: MGB seat rebuilding
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:31:48 -0700
I just got done doing the seats on my '78B (just prior to blowing the
engine, so at least it looked nice on the tow truck! )

Since fooling with upholstery is probably more prone to my screwing it up
than anything else, I took photos every step of the way when dismantling
the old seats.

I don't know how much the '71 seats differ, but here is a picture of the
seat frame with the webbing on, as it was on the original seat:

http://www.penworks.com/dcp00174.jpg

(sorry, it's 148k - I didn't reduce it before uploading).

Note the one connection near the back of the seat - it's easy to almost
miss the holes.

I don't know about the '71, but I sure didn't have to drill anything.  The
Victoria British catalog shows the same webbing for 1970-1980 models, so I
guess that's it.

For the cardboard back, I screwed up the first seat and need to redo
it.  When I did the second seat, what worked well was to take some duct
tape and just wrap the cardboard tight to the frame.  This shaped it for
me.  I didn't wet it or anything (didn't occur to me).  Duct tape held it
in place, worked really well.

I reused my clips.  Just be careful getting them off.

If you want, I can send more pics.  Actually I should probably put up a
page somewhere with all the pics on it.

Actually, the biggest pain in the butt of all was redoing the headrests.

- Tab