RE: Oil filters, Was: Oh Sh*^ Part Deux

To: "David Councill" <dcouncil@imt.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oil filters, Was: Oh Sh*^ Part Deux
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:54:49 -0600
FYI

Both NAPA Gold filters and NAPA Silver filters are made by WIX.  Each meet mfgs
requirements ... but the Gold filters are superior to the Silver filters.  I
can't give you the details ... 'cause I don't know the details!  But maybe
checking with your local NAPA counter person would work.  In my experience the
employees of NAPA are generally more knowledgeable than those of their
competitors.

One thing I do know, if your filter points up, you better not be using the Fram
filters.  Fram does not have a quality "check valve" in the filter.  Each time
you stop the engine the oil drains from the filter; then when starting the
engine, the oil has to fill the canister first then starts to lube the bearings.
How many of you hear the knock, knock, knock until you build oil pressure?

Larry Hoy