Re: US Formula One GP

To: rolindsay@dgrc.com, grunt2@adelphia.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: US Formula One GP
From: Tomsaudi@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 01:49:25 EDT
Rick & Co.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Formula 1 race held at Indy. Sure, there
were some slow moments, but that happens. From an F1 standpoint, it was an
interesting race. From the point of view of the typical American race fan,
I'm not sure. I've only watched a handful of Nascar racing-my observances as
to why many find this exciting (despite the fact that an oval race course is
otherwise dull):

You nearly have twice as many cars on the track
The track is at least double the width of a typical F1 track, which means a
lot of passing and drafting (or towing, if you're European)
Crashes. Nascar is constantly ramming into each other, and full course
yellows are typical. I can only think of one instance this season in F1 where
there was a full course yellow flag.

For an F1 fan, the race was interesting because of the start on rain tires,
and the subsequent switch to dry tires. The timing of this change was
critical to the race. My highlights of the race:

Obviously, the was Coulthard slowed Schumacher, letting Hakkinen catch up,
his quick start, and other bad luck befallen onto him

I would have liked to see some hard racing between Schumacher and Hakkinen.
Mika was gaining, but mechanical failures put him out of a race that could
otherwise have proved to have been a battle to the finish.

I loved the in-car shots they showed of Barrichello barreling down the
straights flat out. That was fun.

Hats off to Frentzen, who worked harder than anyone to get on the podium. The
race between him and Villeneuve towards the end of the race was very exciting.

I honestly enjoyed the race, and I think the track provided some new
challenges to the drivers, and I look forward to more F1 racing at Indy.

Tom
78 Midget