It "B" too tight

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: It "B" too tight
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:04:27 -0500
Hi Gang,
   I have a problem with my '79 B and am asking for
advice beyond the obvious.  Here's the case:
   I am reassembling the engine.  The crank could
be turned by hand (or on the starter) before putting
the head, oil pump, lifters, valve train and oil
pan back on.  After installing these parts, listed
above, the crank is locked and will not turn.
   Before I begin disassembly, do you have any
insight?  More data: I did NOT remove the timing
chain so the engine is still timed.  The engine will
not turn in either direction as if it were seized.
The oil pump turned freely before reinstallation but
I did not check it afterwards.  The plugs are out
so there is no compression lock.  Everything is oiled.
The pistons are original but the rings are new and
properly gapped.  Remember, everything turned
freely before reinstalling the head, manifolds, pump
and oil pan.
   Your helpful thoughts please...

Best regards,

Rick Lindsay