Re: It "B" too tight

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Subject: Re: It "B" too tight
From: "Michael Singleton" <one_ton3@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 09:20:56 -0700
My best guess, did you have the head or block milled (trued), or replace the
camshaft? Obviously, you have not adjusted the valves. Therefore, you may
have valve to block contact. 1. Try feeling the rocker arms to see if any
are loose, at least some of them should have enough clearance to rock back
and forth. 2 If the rockers are indeed tight, try loosening the adjustment
on all of the rocker arms, so that they rock. Now try to rotate the engine -
by hand, or with a hand wrench, only. If this works, you may have bent a
valve or pushrod if you have torqued the head down, so check the pushrods,
at the least. Let your conscience be your guide on the valves. 3 If the
above doesn't work, loosen all of the head nuts substantially, and see if it
turns. If it does, and the valve trick didn't work, you may have piston to
head clearance, or piston to valve issues.

In the event that adjusting the valves doesn't work, and you do have the
dreaded valve-block overlap, you will need to have valve clearance pockets
milled into the block top surface.  For the best directions on that refer to
the factory special tuning manual, included in the Bentley manual, it has
the depth of clearance needed, as well as appropriate head thickness
dimensions.

Michael Singleton