Re: erratic timing

To: Todd Nickleski <tnickleski@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: erratic timing
From: Jon <a77mgb@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 09:03:59 -0700 (PDT)
Timing chain is shot and/or the little gizmo that
takes up the slack [tensioner? whatever]. Don't rev it
up too high until you get a new timing set. Some
engines get really, really sick if the chain *jumps a
tooth*. It could last for hours, days, weeks, months,
years, or centuries. My 195K mile doggy Dodge 318 has
been jumpy for 5 years. If I cherished it, I wouldn't
drive it until I got it fixed. I just center the range
on the right timing mark. Plugs look better than
wifey's *new* car's plugs. Nice and tan. I have too
many cars, and too little time and money.

jon

--- Todd Nickleski <tnickleski@yahoo.com> wrote:
>     Listers,
> I have a problem with erratic timing on my 67 BGT.
> With a strobe light, the timing jumps +/- about 5
> degrees.  What is causing this?  I am suspecting a
> wobbly distributor shaft.
>     I also have a slight overheating problem on warm
> days.  I am assuming this is related to the timing,
> as
> I replaced a suspicious looking radiator with a new
> one with no cooler running. (and of course t-stat
> and
> rad. cap)
>     Thanks, Todd Nickleski
>     67 BGT

> Yahoo! Photos - 35mm Quality Prints, Now Get 15
> Free!
> http://photos.yahoo.com/

=====
77 MGB "basketcase"