JB Weld or similar question

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: JB Weld or similar question
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 2 Oct 00 12:04:30 EDT
Not an MG-specific question, but one not far removed:

I am in the process of trying to resurrect a worn-out series 3 Sunbeam Alpine.
 The first problem was the fuel system -- 12-year-old gasoline doesn't burn
(or for that matter, move) very well.  So, clean the tanks, pipes, pump,
rebuild the carbs.

Fire it up.

"Fire" is very nearly the right word, because while it runs, the fuel inlet on
one of the carbs drips, right over the exhaust manifold.  The DPO (who happens
to be my girlfriend's father; I'm fixing it up for her because it was the car
she drove in high school) liked to tighten things.  Unfortunately, he damaged
the threads in the carburetor body.  It holds, but not tight enough to prevent
leaks.

Would something like JB Weld help seal this?  Is it gas-proof?  Or are there
any other suggestions?

Any thoughts appreciated,
Matt