Re: Engines, and assorted nonsense.

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engines, and assorted nonsense.
From: "Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:56:21 +0930
> I forgot to mention, some PO converted this beast to a single DGV. How
about
> cross flow heads? They're expensive, but what do they actually gain me?
> Should I look at converting BACK to dual SU?

Mine came with the DGV. I took it off and put twin SUs on it and it was a
completely different car - more torque, more top end, better all round.
IMHO, the DGV is a waste of time and effort unless you have smog related
reasons (and I don't know if it would cure them either so please don't quote
me). The DCOE only offers advantages over the SUs at the top end, and then
not much. If you aren't racing it, put twin SUs on it.

Cross flow heads? Why bother. No one that I'm aware of (and I could be very
easily wrong) uses them here for racing so I really question how much
advantage they offer.

The MG motor is simple and relatively crude, but it works and works well.
There is actually little need to change them much, just build them
correctly. One of the joys of these motors is their torque. To get more top
end, you lose torque. To a certain extent, this is nice, but a revvy, strong
at the top end motor will not be as much fun to use on the street,
particularly when it idles like an arthritic kangaroo.

I see two options for a good street car. Mild hot up and if that isn't
enough, a V8. Cripes, even a stock V8 is going to outperform your four
cylinder. My wife turned pale at the price of rebuilding my four, so I
didn't think too carefully about a good V8 conversion. One day however, when
the kids have left home, and I'm a rich and successful author, and the wife
isn't looking...

Cheers
Richard
'76 B