Power Curve on B series engine

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Power Curve on B series engine
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 23:57:36 EDT
I just got my TD back on the highway after a partial engine rebuild (pistons,
rings, valves, and lifters). After 2K miles I think it's still breaking in,
because it reves a little better each time I take it out. Now the old XPAG
doesn't have a lot of power, but I notice that it does increase with rpm. The
higher the rpm the stronger it seems to pull. Looking at the power curve
published in an old magazine, one would expect this. Now my MGB, on the other
hand, seems pretty flat. There doesn't seem to be any advantage shifting at
4K over 3K. It's willing to rev, but nothing exciting happens over 3K.
Several of my B owner friends have the same impression. Is the actual power
curve of the B series engine flat at the high end, or is this the sign of a
cam that has seen it's better days?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336