Re: TR8?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR8?
From: mga <mga@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 20:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
Frank,

TR8's are neat cars, but be prepared for lots of grief.  They have many
weaknesses, and repairing them can be so difficult that you may not be able
to fix it yourself.  Having subscribed to the TR8 list for about two years,
I have read of some awful problems that many owners have experienced.  My
own experience was so bad on the car that I had ten years ago, that I just
gave up on it and sold it with its problems unsolved.

Being a bit of a glutton for punishment, I went and bought another two years
ago.  (I love the idea of a V8 and a 4 or 5-speed- having owned a '62
Skylark with the 215 and a factory 4-speed years ago)  The TR8 was
inexpensive and in very good condition, cherished by a well-off engineer.  I
don't drive it much.  With only 15k miles on the odo, it has been reliable
and fun.  However, I also know that it is a time bomb.  I also know that I
am losing patience with cars that don't serve me well.  That's why I've got
a Miata for my everyday car.

Don

'91 Miata
'80 TR8