High RPM

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: High RPM
From: "Phillips, Frank" <fwp@ufl.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 13:38:26 -0400
List,

Drove my B to work today and am still fighting a high idle speed. I've run a
wire to the cockpit and now have the dwell/tach meter plugged in so I can
see what is truly happening, the cars tach reads high. My idle varies but is
mainly high. Idles around 1500-1600 RPM when it should be 900 - 1000 (1968
MGB, AUD-265's). I feel there are air leaks in the carb's. What is the best
(or any) way to check for leaks? Where else should be checked? I rebuilt the
rest of the carbs about a month (6 weeks?) ago and they seem to function
well. The car runs great as long as you don't intend on stopping, high idle,
runs on... The running on is due to the high idle...

On another note... I have fitted a mechanical oil pressure gauge in-line
with the old electronic one still in place. Oil pressure is great! The old
gauge tends to drop to zero at idle once the car gets hot, new gauge read
about 20 - 25 psi. The old also read 5-15 below the new. Cool!

Frank Phillips
Campus Planning and Construction Management
Email: fwp@ufl.edu
http://plaza.ufl.edu/fwp/mgb.htm