RE: Adding over drive

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Adding over drive
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:50:06 -0600
> In the factory installation this is taken into account by using a longer
>driveshaft.

This may be true for the early 3 syncro trans, but that has not been my
experience with the 4 syncro
trans.  I have installed an OD setup in a 1969 and 1970 MGB that previously had
a non OD trans and
the drive shaft fit fine.

OK so I stopped writing and searched my personal archives, I just found an old
message from Kelvin
Dodd (his messages are generally "keepers") that gave the following stats:

63-67 Roadster 3 synch, non-OD  20 1/4"
63-67 Roadster 3 synch, OD              21 1/4"
66-67 GT 3 synch, non-OD                21 1/4"
66-67 GT 3 synch, OD                    22 1/4"
68-80 RD and GT 4 synch         21 1/4"
68-80 RD and GT 4 synch, OD             21 1/4"

When he posted this message there was some controversy on where these
measurements were taken, and
if they were good numbers (they seem to be too short), but what these numbers
do show is the post 67
cars had the same drive shafts regardless of the transmission.  It is only the
early roadsters and
GTs that had different length shafts.  It appears the early OD cars use a 1"
longer shaft.

Larry Hoy