Re: 5 Main bearing "B" engine and 4 syncro trans in MGA ?

To: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Main bearing "B" engine and 4 syncro trans in MGA ?
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 07:50:00 -0500
At 8:31 AM -0600 10/14/00, Larry Hoy wrote:
>Recently there was a similar thread about putting the 5 main engine
>in the MGA using the 3 syncro
>trans.
>
>How about the MGB 5 main engine and the fully synchronized transmission.
>
>What challenges would I face?
>
>Larry Hoy

Unless the transmission is an overdrive it is a pretty simple
operation.  The engine is a bolt in as long as it came from a chrome
bumper car. You have to fabricate a new rear transmission mount, and
you have to have a new tube made for the driveshaft that is about
2.25 inches longer. You use an electronic tach from a '65-67, or have
the innards from a newer one put in your old tach box. If you drive
in town you may want to recore your radiator or get a new one
designed for the purpose from moss, or get an electric fan to use as
a replacement for the one on front of the engine. If you drive it a
lot this is not a bad way to go.
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/