Oil pressure scare

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil pressure scare
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:01:39 -0400
Took the afternoon off of work on Friday to take the B out and enjoy the
beautiful fall weather. I drove around for about three hours, and it was a
blast. Actually saw another B while I was out driving (a Tahiti Blue RBB).
The B performed flawlessly the entire afternoon, except for one minor item.
I was cruising along in 4th gear (non-OD), maybe with the RPMs a bit lower
than usual for 4th, and glanced down at the oil pressure gauge and it read
0. A quick blip of the throttle returned the oil pressure back up to ~50
psi, where it had been all afternoon. The oil pressure on the car generally
is over 50 psi on start-up, and then drops to slightly under 50 while on the
road. Sometimes I have seen it drop into the 30s while cruising in the past,
but pops back up with a little more throttle. The car does not use oil, does
not smoke when I get on the throttle, and generally runs very well. I am
using 20W50 oil w/ a paper filter cartridge in my canister. Should I be
concerned with the sudden drop in pressure, or consider it an anomaly and
just keep a close eye on the gauge in the future? Any ideas on what may have
caused this? Thanks.

Craig
'71 B