How to check cam wear?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: How to check cam wear?
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 17 Oct 00 09:40:15 EDT
My '70 B roadster, daily driver, is in need of a valve job -- mostly worn
guides, but I won't know what the seats look like until I get there.

The thing that makes me worry about the cam is this:  whenever I adjust
the valves, they aren't tight (as would indicate wearing valve seats) but
a few thou. loose.  This makes me think of cam/tappet wear as the other
major possibility...

On the other hand, I may just be paranoid about cam wear because the
previous cam (which may have been the original) wiped one lobe, resulting
 in one hot cylinder, blown head gasket, etc. etc.

So, how do I check the cam for wear, preferably without (or, more to the
point, before) tearing everything down?

Thanks,
Matt