Re: How to check cam wear?

To: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How to check cam wear?
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:00:01 -0700

Matthew Trebelhorn wrote:

> My '70 B roadster, daily driver, is in need of a valve job -- mostly worn
> guides, but I won't know what the seats look like until I get there.
>
> The thing that makes me worry about the cam is this:  whenever I adjust
> the valves, they aren't tight (as would indicate wearing valve seats) but
> a few thou. loose.  This makes me think of cam/tappet wear as the other
> major possibility...

        This may sound like a silly question - What type of oil filter do you
have? Is it on the top or the bottom?

> On the other hand, I may just be paranoid about cam wear because the
> previous cam (which may have been the original) wiped one lobe, resulting
>  in one hot cylinder, blown head gasket, etc. etc.

        Was it the #1 cylinder by any chance?

> So, how do I check the cam for wear, preferably without (or, more to the
> point, before) tearing everything down?

        Measure the difference in rocker arm height at the pushrod end as you
turn the engine. you ca use a small metal ruler, or a dial indicator.
The difference should be close to the same for all the valves. It's not
a precise measurement, but it should be good enough to tell you if
you're seriously losing your lobes again.

        Regards,
        Dave Ambrose