Re: Scottish "Food"

To: ct@cthompson.com, rolindsay@dgrc.com
Subject: Re: Scottish "Food"
From: ATWEDITOR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:37:03 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/00 4:24:49 PM, ct@cthompson.com writes:

<< Or LaPhroaig, or Cavacullin...

Remember, there is no problem in this world so great that it cant be solved
by the appropriate amount of Single Malt Scotch. >>

The most debauched business dinner I have ever attended was a Robbie Burns
Day dinner in Prestwick, where a full bottle of Scotch Whiskey was located at
every other place setting.  That's right, a fifth to split between two
people.  And given that some don't really *need* that much whiskey left all
the more for others.  The most sober moment of the night was the "piping of
the haggis," after which all hell broke loose.  I have zero recollection of
the actual food consumed that night.

The poor cousin of British cooking hasn't been mentioned that I noticed.  The
Irish, after years of scraping just to get by, achieved a cuisine topped by
the crowning achievement of Irish cooking, corned beef and cabbage, with
potatoes served five different ways on the side.  No meat was worth eating
unless well boiled, it seemed.
Happily that has all changed with the average Irish income now exceeding...a
nearby country...and the food in Ireland is simply fantastic, especially if
you love salmon.

Jay Donoghue
72B
72B-GT