Re: adding an ammeter to a RBI

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>,
Subject: Re: adding an ammeter to a RBI
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 19:39:23 +0100
I was under the impression that the dash-type voltmeters that are only
calibrated from about 10v to 15v were thermal instruments and therefore it
did not matter which way round they were connected.  But I don't have one
now that I can confirm with.

As a general comment on dash voltmeters it would add a little bit of safety,
albeit at the expense of a little bit of inaccuracy if you suffer from bad
connections as evidenced by slow flashers, to wire it to the green (fused
ignition) circuit.

Whilst digital voltmeters are excellent for measuring precise voltages,
analogue meters are better for diagnosing some other circuits like ignition
LT.  I.e. both is better than one or the other.

PaulH.