Re: Full Independant Rear Suspension.

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Full Independant Rear Suspension.
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:03:56 -0400
Well, I wasnt actually seriously considering it. That $3100 would be much
higher for me, because if I actually spent it, the divorce lawyer would cost
much much more. :)

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Dan DiBiase wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but I can think of LOTS of other things I would/could
> do with $3100 on my B's other than throw on a new front-end and an
> independent rear suspension... I know we had a long thread about tubes
> versus levers, but for MY cars, I'm not looking for all-out performance

I hesitated to send this because I didnt want to reopen the tube/lever jihad
once again. :) This car is slated to be my daily driver, no racing, no
rallying, so I'd have a tough time justifying it.

> but simply whatever performance the cars had from new. (Which is enough of
> a challenge for me!) That is, I'm looking to 'tour' and not 'flog' my
> cars. Again, that's just me.  I am interested in the opinions of others
> that race their cars or are looking for higher performance, however.

> And maybe a follow-on question - assume that you have an original car, in
> good shape (not 100 points but needing minimal-to-no body or mechanical
> restoration) - if you had $1500 to spend on your car, how would you spend
> it?

Well. I'm starting with a 73 B that needs some work. OK, it needs alot of
work. Everything appears solid, good floors, etc. Engine leaks oil from some
hidden location and is getting pulled this weekend for a full rebuild.
Chassis is getting stripped bare and redone. new Wiring Harness, new
uphosltery. Thinking of splurging (And hiding from the wife) one of
Waterloo's 5 speed transmissions.

But that's not what you asked. If all that was done...

I am buying a new Moto Lita steering wheel. And I'm buying a set of Tony
Barnhill modified Fiero seats with speakers in the headrest. $150 for the
seats, $65 shipping. Then a nice set of leather seat upholstery from
www.mrmikes.com, (Who apparently is doing up an embroidered MG logo for the
seats!) for, I believe $350. I need to call and get a solid price and an ETA
on the MG logos.

On the other hand, I'm also planning something a bit more crazy. My "Project
X" invovles putting a computer in the drivers side battery bin (Since I've
converted to a single 12v) to play mp3's through my new headrest speakers.
I've got 70gigabytes of mp3's. That's about 1100 hours. It also involves, as
I'm a woodworker to boot, a complete custom dash and center console. I hope
to have some sketches up soon as to what I'm hoping to accomplish.

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |