I smell GAS!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: I smell GAS!
From: "Jesse Robinson" <jesserobinson2@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 04:34:34 GMT
List,

When the top is up and the windows are rolled up I can smell gas.  Which
makes it a real drag for winter driving.  I did installed a new SU fuel pump
a while back, and didn't tighten the gas pipe hard enough the first time
around.  I found it to be leaking slightly - tighten it until it stopped and
thought that was the problem.  Well, I still smell it... I ran the engine
for a while and gave a good look under the car, and nothing was leaking.  I
followed the fuel line and didn't see anything out of the ordinary (didn't
check really good around the tranny though...).  I also gave a quick look in
the trunk.  Nothing seemed to be leaking...

Any ideas where to go from here?

Gas mileage is pretty bad - 140 miles a tank!  I didn't get really good gas
mileage to begin with: never rebuilt/valves rattling/low oil pressure/Weber
Downdraft Carb.  Not really sure what the mileage was before, because I took
the car out of storage, to start driving it again, and the fuel pump broke
first thing.  I did replace the tank about 13 years ago with a used one from
a pick-n-pull yard.  Can't think of anything else usefull.

Thanks - watching my fuel needle drop,
Jesse
1970 MGB