Re: Weber vs Su

To: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>,
Subject: Re: Weber vs Su
From: Bob Shaw <shaws@mlcltd.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:36:26 -0500
At 10:28 AM -0500 10/25/00, R. O. Lindsay wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>    This is probably one those topics that has been
>beaten to death but I must ask.  If it is really old hat or
>offensive, please reply privately.
>    All issues of originality aside, what is the performance
>difference between the stock SU carbs on a '70 B-GT
>and a Weber DGV?  Starting is better with the Weber
>because it uses an accelerator pump but I am interested
>in on-road performance.  Opinions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rick
>
>PS: For reference:
>     DGV = manual choke
>     DGAV = auto choke, water temp actuated
>     DGEV = auto choke electrically operated

SUs properly tuned and in good shape are superior carbs, especially
in autocrossing. The reason? Which would you rather have in your lap
while driving in a spirited manner-gasoline in a 9X13 cake pan or in
a one liter cake bottle. Furthermore, there is a larger area in HS 6
carbs than in any Webber, including the DCOE 45. Further I take issue
with starting being better. I have never had difficulty with Starting
my MGs, all but one of which have been SU equipped. But then, I have
never tried starting a car at colder than -20 degrees.
--
Bob Shaw
Check out Shaw's Garage at http://www.mlcltd.com/shawsgarage/