Re: Dodgy alternator?

To: "scott beavis" <scottbeavis@mobrey.com>,
Subject: Re: Dodgy alternator?
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 20:06:32 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: scott beavis <scottbeavis@mobrey.com>
To: MGs (E-mail) <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 2:55 PM
Subject: Dodgy alternator?

> Sitting in heavy traffic about 3/4 way home, lights on, heater on, wipers
> on, etc and the red charge warning light came on for about 10 seconds and
> then went off again. Assumed water on the fan belt and thought nothing
more
> of it. Got home about an hour later and switched off to see the red light
> come on WITH THE KEY OUT!! This is quite clearly wrong so I disconnected
the
> coil LT wires for fear of being woken by the fire brigade in the middle of
> the night putting out my burning garage. In the morning the light was
still
> on, dimly, and the battery was flat as a pancake.
>
> I know that this light sits between 12V (key pos II?) and the alto
regulator
> circuitry. Seeing as the indicators etc didn't work with the key out this
> rules out a knackered ign key barrel. Looks to me like a blown diode or
> something in the alto.

Almost certainly.

> ... so looked
> for the solonoid....no-where to be seen. Anyone know where it is hiding?

Probably on top of the starter.  Much harder to get to than the battery!

> PS: Couple of other quick Q for you experts...
>
> - Where does the water go which enters the vent in front of the wind
screen?

There is a vent tube near the RHS that exits underneath at the front of the
tunnel.  It is a length of hose with a bulb shape at the end - unless a PO
has cut it off.  Why would they cut it off?  'Cos they can get blocked with
25 years worth of gunge, fill up, and overflow into the car.  It can be
poked through with a length of dowel from above.

> - HRW doesn't work. Green lamp doesn't light. Does this run on a seperate
> fuse?

No, it's off the main green fuse on most years, but on a separately in-line
fused green (just to confuse) branch on late years.

> - We seem to be loosing oil...but no sign of any leaks. Can a B series
> really burn 2L in 300 miles?

If it's bad enough.

> - Overdrive still taking a while to engage. It sometimes comes in and out
as
> it engages. Is this normal?

No.  If you mean it switches in an out on its own while the manual switch is
on this can be caused by loose connections, or bad adjustment of the
override switch on top of the gearbox.  This could be loose or worn, it
should have two shims under it, removing one can help.  If you can switch it
in and out by pulling the lever round while in 4th it probably is this.
It's a pig to get at, dropping the rear cross-member helps.

> - Should I avoid making the engine labour with overdrive engaged? eg:
switch
> it out in 4th for fast hills rather than OD'd 3rd?

You shouldn't 'labour' the engine in any gear, O/D or not.  Select the
appropriate combination of ratio and O/D for the conditions.  On 'fast
hills' I would expect to see plenty of revs which means it isn't labouring.

> - Oil pressure sits around 25psi. Can I simply pack the OPRV cap like on A
> series engines?

Hot idle is the real test, what's that?

> - Can't seem to get oil filters in Halfords. Is there another modern car's
> filter which fits?

Halfords stock both their own brand and Champion and they are list the
number for the MGB under 'Rover'.  C102, I think, for Champion.

PaulH.