RE: Dodgy alternator?

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net, "MGs (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dodgy alternator?
From: scott beavis <scottbeavis@mobrey.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 09:32:56 -0000
>There is a vent tube near the RHS that exits underneath at the front of the
>tunnel.  It is a length of hose with a bulb shape at the end - unless a PO
>has cut it off.  Why would they cut it off?  'Cos they can get blocked with
>25 years worth of gunge, fill up, and overflow into the car.  It can be
>poked through with a length of dowel from above.

Is there any dissadvantage to cutting the bulb off? I'll take a look. My
main concern is that the heater air box thing will rot out, or that water
will get in and rot the floor.

>No, it's off the main green fuse on most years, but on a separately in-line
>fused green (just to confuse) branch on late years.

It's a 1978 MGBGT. What do you mean by 'green'? Is this the current rating
colour code? I think there are four fuses in the fuse box. Wouldn't supprise
me if they are the same as on other BL cars ie: Fuse 1 = IGN pos II, 2 = key
out, 3 = IGN pos I, 4 = sidelights.

>Hot idle is the real test, what's that?

Not a lot. About 15-20psi. Often the OPRV is venting too soon, and a nut
under the cap will boost Oil P by 20 or so psi. Maybe the engine is too
worn.

>Halfords stock both their own brand and Champion and they are list the
>number for the MGB under 'Rover'.  C102, I think, for Champion.

I looked in their look-up charts for lots of bits like oil filter, plugs,
leads, etc. All just had " --- " written for the part number, meaning they
don't stock it. Maybe at larger stores they do. I know that the plugs are
the same as on my mini (BPY6E?) so that isn't a problem, but the oil filter
is larger on the MG's B series than on the mini's A series. I will look at
the C102 filter. I just wondered if a modern Rover used the same filter (eg:
Rover 400).

Cheers,
Scott
http://www.geocities.com/scottbeavis

1978 MGBGT
1979 Mini (in need of TLC)
1984 Mini (very suped up)
1990 Ford Fiesta (sold yesterday HOORAY!)
1972 Girlfriend (fed up)

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com