Re: Light bulbs

To: fwp@ufl.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Light bulbs
From: LBCarCoMail@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 20:29:45 EST

Frank,

About 2 years ago I read a tip on using the 7v (I think it was) bulbs in the
MGB.  I went to RS and bought a bunch of them and gave some to some friends
too  (they are still friends but not happy campers ;))).

 In any case as you may know it is not a lot of fun replacing the bulbs in a
B (I found removing the tack or speedo helps as you can then reach through
the open hole),   After we all replaced the bulbs we were so excited as we
could then read the instruments.  Well about 2 weeks later my first bud
called me that the bulbs were burned out.  He went back to the std bulb (he
is also an electrical engineer and has a wonderful website dealing with MG's
about electrics).  My bulbs all burned out too about 3 days later.

Your best bet is the 12v 5w or 10w halogens  (the 5 w for the smaller
instruments and the 10 w for the tach and speedo).  I have them in all three
of my MG's (EmmieA, EmmieB and Maggie) and they work great.  I can even read
a map in a pinch with my tach and speedo when Jan is sleeping on our weekend
jaunts.  Just keep in mind you cannot handle the glass with your hands or
that will limit their life and you also need to keep your reostat at high if
you have one as Halogens should burn at full power for longest life.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jeff Zorn
Little British Car Co., Ltd.