Re: Light bulbs

To: <LBCarCoMail@aol.com>, <fwp@ufl.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Light bulbs
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 12:16:55 -0000
The original instrument bulbs are all 2.2W.  I have asked before what the
current consumption of these halogen bulbs is but got no response.  Be aware
that the rheostat is pretty marginal at the best of times and increasing the
current by some 350% - if that is what it takes to power these halogen
bulbs - won't help.  The rheostat dissipates the greatest heat when the
lamps are on about half power.  But the closer you adjust it to full power
the higher the power density (heat per unit resistance) gets, which is why
they tend to burn out close to the minimum resistance point.  However the
rheostats I have dismantled have been of the printed-circuit type, and these
'fail safe' to a certain degree by partially increasing the resistance at
the 'minimum' point as they burn out, so reducing the current and the power
dissipated, which stops further burning out.  This gives the characteristic
'dim glow' - although they were never that bright in the first place.  I
suspect many rheostats are in this state, which means that halogen bulbs
will never get the full power that Jeff recommends unless you replace or
bypass the rheostat.  And if you are going to do that you may well find the
correct bulbs, plus cleaning them and the glasses and possibly painting the
inside of the cans, become bright enough to avoid the expense of halogen.
Particularly if they are not going to last that long anyway by being run at
part power.

PaulH.