Re: urgent advice needed PLEASE!

To: Chris Rose <chris_rose@totalise.co.uk>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: urgent advice needed PLEASE!
From: Dan Dwelley <ddwelley@excite.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 04:42:31 -0800 (PST)
Chris,

If it really appears that you stand a high risk of losing the car all
together...I would remove the car and do the repairs yourself. If you're not
attached to the car and you could find another at the cost of the write off
value...then it may be wise to go that route. Sewage can be a nasty thing
not to mention water in the engine if the car was submerged.

Good luck and all the best,
Dan
On Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:26:02 +0000, Chris Rose wrote:

>  Hi
>
>  I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice.
>
>  I posted recently about my flood damaged 1963 B, and received a variety
of
>  very useful information with respect to getting her back up and running.
>
>  I promised to e-mail again when I had got more information from the
garage,
>  and now is, unfortunately, this time.
>
>  The car was at a garage being repaied when it was flooded, and, as a
result,
>  is covered under their insurance. However, due to the nature of the
damage to
>  that area of the country, the loss adjusters have been rather busy and
are
>  only just about to visit the cars.
>
>  However, the major problem is that because the river water had also been
>  contaminated with sewage, its become an issue for the Environment Agency
in
>  the UK.
>  Now for the really bad news. The vast majority of the other cars within
the
>  industrial estate that were flooded and have already been inspected by
the
>  loss adjusters from the insurance companies have been classified by the
EA as
>  class A write offs.
>
>  This means, in basic terms, the car has been contaminated and has to be
>  REMOVED AND DESTROYED! There appears to be no way of getting around this
issue
>  and so I want to get some advice.
>
>  Firstly, I don't want the car destroyed! As I said, as well as being my
pride
>  and joy, its also been in the family 20 years and the thought of it being

>  crushed just for the sake of refitting the interior (surely everything
else
>  can be washed down??) is ridiculous.
>
>  Secondly, as the adjuster has not yet visited, should I bite the bullet
and
>  just move the car away from the garage and make all the repairs myself
>  (obviously this would have to be out of my own pocket as insurance is a
no no
>  for this incident)
>
>  Thirdly, all the other cars on the estate were 'normal' cars, and not
classics
>  (remember we are talking about MGA's and other really nice and much more
>  valuable cars than mine as well) and the garage are going to argue that
>  writing them all off when they can be economically repaired is a total
over
>  reaction.
>
>  Does anyone have any advice about what I should do? I am still stuck out
of
>  the country, but am back this weekend and so if I am going to move the
car it
>  would have to be then.
>
>  I really am at my wits end, and am hoping someone can offer some advice.
Does
>  anyone know anything about the Environment Agency in the UK and how this
bit
>  of legislation actually works?
>
>  Cheers for any info from anyone.
>
>  Extremely unhappy Chris