Seat heights revisited

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Seat heights revisited
From: "Richard Spurling" <hobbes@senet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:32:03 +1030
G'day gentlemen,  (and you to Eric)

A few weeks back (or more?) I asked about methods of reducing the height I
sit in my MG B. After the traditional stuffing about, I did the
non-traditional thing and took it to an expert, in this, my local motor
trimmer. The solution he came up with is this:

He made a wire frame that is suspended from the seat frame, and sits at the
bottom of the seat frame. The webbing straps are attached to this wire
frame. For the backyarder, you could just sling the webbing from the seat
frame, but run the webbing underneath the seat frame instead of over the
top - this was what he was going to do originally, but he's a perfectionist.
This locates the webbing, the width of the seat frame lower - about 3/4".

The seat squab usually sits on top of the seat frame, so he cut a 1" (or
slightly more) square strip from the bottom corner of the squab. This allows
the squab to sit down inside the seat frame. By making this cutout larger
than the diam of the frame tubes, the squab can compress even more when you
sit in it.

Finally, when re-webbing the seat, he did not tension the straps as tight as
he normally would. Normally, you would sag very little with new straps, now
I sag a noticeable amount.

So, briefly, the webbing isn't as tight, it's strung from the bottom of the
seat frame instead of over the top, and the corners of the squab have been
cut out to allow the squab to sink inside the seat frame.

The result is a very comfy seat, that has lowered me a good 2" if not more.
The windscreen frame is no longer an issue as I am looking right through the
guts of the windscreen. I'm happy.

The only mistake made, is that the whole squab has been lowered. Because you
sit with your legs bent, there is now no support just behind your knees.
This was never a feature of MG seats anyway (let's face it, they are
dreadful), but if I was doing it again, I would look very carefully at how I
cut the squab, so that the front on of the squab sits up a bit - lower the
back of the seat basically, because that is where you sit.

For those of you who are wondering, I understand the squab to be the dirty
great big piece of foam that you sit on. If my terminology is wrong, please
forgive me.

Cost? Done by a professional motor trimmer, in Adelaide Australia, it cost
$Aus90 - that's the price of a cheap tyre or three slabs of beer (24
stubbies, er 375ml bottles). The aussie dollar (or peso as the less
forgiving among us are calling it now), is currently worth about $US0.52, so
that makes the cost about 45 US bucks.

What more can I say? but Brrrmmmm, brrrrmmmm

Cheers
Richard
'76 B
I've just dropped the car 1 1/2", and now the seats 2" - no wonder my
perspective is changing.
         Anne and Richard Spurling
 http://www.geocities.com/twisted-lines