Free heater motor restoration - LIMIT ONE.

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Free heater motor restoration - LIMIT ONE.
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:52:23 -0600
WAKE UP, GANG !!!

Well folks, it's that time of year here in the northern hemisphere again,
when a young man's fancy turns to .... a warm MG.  I haven't had a problem
there for some time now, but I did have some pictures lying around that I
thought might be of interest to others, so I finally put the heater motor
rebuild on my web site.  If interrested, check here:
    C:\barneymg\mgtech\electric\ht_mtr_1.htm

And now for that punch line.  In the process of repairing one of these
heater motors a winter or two back I rewound a motor armature.  That turned
out to be so quick and easy that I forgot to take pictures in the process.
So now I have a problem, new web pages of the motor rebuild, but no
pictures of the armature rewinding.  And now here's the proposition.  In
order to get the pictures to complete the documentation I am willing to do
a heater motor rebuild for someone for free (one only, not one for
everybody), and I would even pay the return shipping charges.  But there
are some requirements attached.

I am looking for a defunct heater motor for the MGA or early MGB.  It must
be an original type motor, standard long housing type, not the newer short
replacements.  It must also be the unidirectional type with two black lead
wires, not the newer type with color coded leads that reverses with input
power polarity change.  And for the topper, it may have many other defects
including but not limited to burned brushes, bent flanges, burned field
windings, worn bearings, or even being seriously rusted solid (but
preferably not a bent shaft).  It should not only be a dead motor, but it
should definitely have a BURNED OUT ARMATURE.  The point of this after all
is to repair the armature, and if I'm doing it for free I'd like to do it
for someone who actually needs it, and not just faking it on a formerly
good armature.  I don't intend to restore the squirrel cage fan, or even to
return one if it arrives here, just the motor.

So, if you should have one of these meeting the above requirements you may
qualify for a free heater motor restoration.  The trick here is for you to
know that it in fact does have a burned out armature.  I already have
plenty of heater motors with good armatures, and I don't need any more.
For anyone sending me a motor that does NOT have a burned out armature, I
will simply drop it in the trash and you will get nothing back.  If no one
turns up the desired motor in a reasonable period of time I may settle for
just a burned out armature alone, for which I would eventually return a
complete, restored and functional heater motor containing the repaired
armature.  If you would like to see what I am offering, just refer to the
web address noted above, and check out the shiney black unit, not the rusty
one.

So how's that for a strange Monday morning proposition?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

    PS
Please, no creative cheating to intentionally create a burned out armature.
 I could do that myself.  I'm looking for a real one.
    BG