Starter Dragging

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Starter Dragging
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:38:09 -0500
Hi Folks,
My 66 MGB when bought was fitted with a starter button in addition to the
ignition switch, as per many older USA vehicles. Since it worked well, I
did not change the arrangement. Recently, however, the starter turns VERY
slow when the ignition switch is "on", and fast (normal) when the
ignition switch is "off." My guess is something draining juice when the
ignition is in the "on" position. Up until now I have been able to start
the engine anyway by pressing the starter button, choke on, then turning
the ignition switch on while still holding the starter button in. This
morning, However, I guess the temperature is a little too cold and she
just wouldn't crank.

Any ideas out there on where to look first?

Incidentally, this is another car from the one I asked about last week
which was not firing on the first cylinder, and is fitted with Mikuni
Carbs. (72 MGB-GT with 76 engine) .Several listers were nice enough to
respond. One was even gracious enough to send me a copy of the Mikuni
manual, but my problem persists.

The engine starts, but runs and idles roughly.
Compression checks out at 100-120 on all cylinders.
TIming checked statically is OK. (Flywheel TDC, piston up (viewed through
plug hole), rotor towards #1 plug wire contact.).
When the engine is running and the first plug wire is removed, no change
in running is noted. When the plug is left on the wire and grounded, good
and regular spark is noted.
When the #1 plug is removed after running, raw gas is noted on the plug.
**When the #1 plug wire is removed from the plug, spark can be seen
escaping around the distributor cap. (Blue lightening bolts apparently
escaping from the #1 plug wire base to the block). Is this normal, or can
it indicate cap problems? The escaping spark is not noted when the plug
wire is connected.

This problem was sudden onset after a 15-20 minute drive. It was running
fine and began running roughly just as I arrived back home. All help is
appreciated.
Bill Snyder
66MGB
72MGB-GT