Re: Starter Dragging

To: <wtsnyder@juno.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Dragging
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 20:50:03 -0000
Difficult to imagine what could be causing that since the starter draws many
more times the current then everything else put together.  However
over-advanced timing can cause it - each cylinder fires too early on the
up-stroke making it much harder for the starter to turn the engine.  You
could have tried this by disconnecting the coil - if it then cranked more
quickly it would tend to confirm the timing theory.  I would also do a
volt-drop check along the heavy current wires looking for any bad
connections, check charging output when running, and battery condition.

PaulH.