RE: Tire Pressure (No LBC)

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tire Pressure (No LBC)
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 13:24:30 -0600
Thanks for all the responses.  A couple said go up in pressure, but the most
said not to exceed the tire manufacturers maximum pressure limit.

I talked to the local Dodge dealer and they just confirmed my understanding
that they are incompetent.  They didn't know and said I could make an
appointment to bring it in for them to look at.

I then called Dodge and basically they said I must have the wrong sticker on
the door jam.  They said my tires were correct and 35 psi was the correct
pressure for my truck.  I mentioned that it seems they were leaving
themselves wide open for a law suit if I had filled the tires to 42 psi and
something had happened.  He said that it was a good thing I called to get
clarification.

I then called Michelin and was told that I had the right tires on my truck.
He said never to exceed the pressure markings on the tire.  For my tires he
said it was permissible to go to 40 psi when seating the bead on the rim,
but then drop it back to 35 for road use.  He went into a lot of detail
about how the maximum pressures, speed ratings, load ratings were obtained.
Actually a very interesting individual to talk with.

I guess the moral of the story is that I'll stick with 35 psi for now, and
if I see continued wear I'll go to a higher rated tire when replacements are
due.  I will probably go to a local Michelin dealer to see if I can get an
adjustment on the tires.

Thanks for all the wisdom,

Ken