Cam Kits

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam Kits
From: frank krajewski <frankk@intap.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 15:03:58 -0500
I will be doing a major rebuild on my 1980 MGB LE motor this winter and
want to squeeze a bit more power from her. The car is dead stock at
present. There are numerous suppliers touting cam kits. I want to be
able to do a normal installation, retain the valve timing and adjustment
settings as close to stock as possible, just so in my advanced  years I
will remember them. What is the list's experience with after market cam
kits relative to modest power gain without sacrificing bottom end
performance? I anticipate any worthwhile cam kit includes push rods and
lifters. I have also read here that a double row timing chain is highly
recommended. Will it fit under the stock front timing cover and is there
agreement on its use?
Frank "Swamp Yankee" Krajewski