Wire Feed Welders

To: "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire Feed Welders
From: "bill king" <kingwj@del.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:00:07 -0500
I borrowed a 110v Lincoln wire feed welder to do a few patches on my car.  The
machine seemed to be a better cutter than welder.  At minimum feeds and power
settings it would cut through the sheet metal in less than a second.  I had a
bare metal ground and the surface being welded was clean.  I attempted to back
up welds with a wet towel to act as a heat sink.  Is inert gas necessary?
What am I doing wrong?  What should I use to weld sheet metal to sheet metal?
Any comments would be appreciated.

Bill