Questions on rebuilding lever type shocks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions on rebuilding lever type shocks
From: KD6BGO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 00:57:07 EST
Hello group!

  I am rather new to the list, just bought a 69 bgt in july. After rebuilding
the motor, my next project is going to be rebuilding the front end. I have
spent the last two days disassembling the front end completely. I would like
to rebuild the front shocks myself, if possible. I have purchased new valves
from Moss motors, and after refilling my shocks with fluid, I noticed that
the shocks leaked badly from the lever arms. Has anyone on the list had any
experience rebuilding these shocks? How do I get the main shaft loose from
the center piston assembly? Is it pressed in? Are the seals simple o-rings,
or something more involved? Does anyone sell new shaft seals? Any help would
be appreciated.

                                                Mike Johnson
                                                69 BGT
                                                Atwater, CA