Re: Tools

To: doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: Tools
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 17:14:35 -0600
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:40:37 -0800 "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
writes:
>       If at all possible (big expense) try to budget for a small
> oxy-acetylene outfit.  Sears has a little portable one that is
> within
> reason.  This will save you gigormous amounts of time dealing with
> rusted
> and frozen bolts.  Heating a stuck bolt may mean the difference of
> having to
> drill it out once it breaks.

Although an oxy-acetylene torch is also valuable for welding and is quick
and definitive in heating a frozen nut, a propane torch often works, for
a much lower cost.  For a bit extra heat, buy the MAP gas cylinder
instead of the propane one.

>  A sawzall is another expensive tool
> that I
> have done without for many years.  Now I wonder how I existed
> without it.

I took an old rusty TD frame to a welder to have him cut out a portion to
save.  I thought he was going to use a cutting torch.  He got out his
sawzall and cut right through the thing!  And these were the big box
rails.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD