Re: Tools

To: d_dibiase@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Tools
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:05:11 -0600
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000 13:47:15 -0800 (PST) Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
writes:
> I've been looking at tool sets lately, as I prepare to start serious
> disassembly on the project car. I'd like to buy a comprehensive set,
> as I
> have the usual mix-n-match junk for around the house... Here is the
> dumb
> question - do I need metric tools, non-metric or both?? I've also
> seen
> Whitworth tools in the Moss catalog and on eBay; are these anything
> special or can I stick with Sears/Harbor Freight tools? Thanks.

Do yourself a favor and buy a set of quality tools.  Sears Craftsman or
the Husky sold by Home Depot or Kobalt sold by Lowe's are all good
quality and will last you forever.  Don't buy them from Harbor Freight.
Although I'm one of Harbor Freight's best customers, some of their stuff
is absolute junk, including the wrenches.

Just buy a set of SAE (not Metric).  If all you ever work on is your MGB,
that will be all you ever need.  There are a few fittings that are
British Standard Fine (BSF or Whitworth), but not enough to warrant
buying a whole set.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD