RE: Newbie question: how to unfasten wire wheels

To: "Mark Nellemann" <mark@nellemann.nu>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Newbie question: how to unfasten wire wheels
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:58:49 -0700
I think most of the other replies have answered your question ... but just in
case.

If the center knock off has two or three "wings" on it you can hit it with a
hammer.  A lead hammer is recommended.  If the knock
offs are eight sided then you need a special wrench.  It looks like a big box
end wrench.  They come in various configurations.
Some need to be put on the knock off and then hit with a hammer, others have a
long handle and you can just put them on like a
wrench and pull.  Be sure to note the direction of travel to get them off, they
will be marked with an arrow.

I have seen them on so hard they needed to be cut off.  Only do this as a last
resort, make sure you understand how they come off
first, and that you have explored all other posiblilites.

Larry Hoy