Seat Belt Rewebbing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Seat Belt Rewebbing
From: wtsnyder@juno.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 16:30:19 -0500
Hello list. I recently purchased seat belt webbing to refurbish some
inertia reel-type seat belts for a 72 MGB-GT that my son and I are
restoring. Can anybody lend their expertise to this task, especially on
how to disengage the belt from the inertia wheel? The spindles on both
are a little rusted and I cannot see a way to unattach the belt from the
spindle to reinstall the new stuff. Also, has anyone attempted sewing the
webbing with a standard sewing machine using a heavy duty needle, or
should this be left to a professional with a commercial machine and
needle? Lastly, later model B's had inertia reels that attached on the
medial side of the rear wheel wells only a few inches above the rea
platform. Can this type of inertia reel be mounted at the other
attachment site on top of the rear wheel well and still function
properly?

Thanks in advance for everyone's input.
Bill Snyder
Great Smoky Moutains